Don't those cherries just look so good? A real taste of summer in the middle of winter. I received them in a parcel of ingredients from the French company, Sabarot. The company was formed in 1819 by an ancestor of the current manager and Sabarot aim to maintain the traditions and know how passed down through the family.
Cherry and Almond Frangipane
1 jar Sabarot cherries in juice
100g caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
for the Frangipane
55g caster sugar
40g ground almonds
1 large egg
15g plain flour
1. Heat the oven to 180C/170C fan oven
2. Put the juice from the cherries and the sugar in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Mix the cornflour with a little water and add to the warm, sweetened cherry juice and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 2 minutes,stirring all the time until the starch is cooked out.
4. Add the cherries to the sauce and place in a shallow dish, leave to cool slightly.
4. Using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, beat together the frangipane ingredients.
5. Spoon the frangipane mixture over the cherries.
6. Bake at 170C for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
7. Serve with cream or greek yogurt.